SCMS Centre for Socio-Economic Research
About the Institute
SCMS Centre for Socio-Economic Research(SCENSER) is an initiative which was takendue to the thrust that SCMS gives for research on topics having high Socio-Economic relevance in the Indian society. It started its operations in the year 2003 and has a separate head, ably assisted by a team of experienced professionals. The centre undertakes research studies, market surveys, feasibility studies, management consultancy and human resource development and training in India and abroad.
A few Management Development Programmes held recently were for State Bank of India, Kerala State Financial Enterprises, Carborandum Universal, MILMA, Coconut Development Board, India Post, Allianz Cornhill, IndianOil Dealers and Managers of Retail Outlets.
At present SCENSERis headed by Professor Baiju Radhakrishnan,Group Director, SCMS.
In a span of 18 years, SCENSER has earned a name as the leader in this field in Kerala. It has a handful of assignments any time of the year from India, Middle East, Saudi Arabia, or USA. SCENSERis a consultant to Asian Development Bank for South Asia Region.
Recent Consultancies and Trainings
1. Petronet LNG Foundation – Impact assessment study of “Naipunyam: Vocational Skill Development Program” for underprivileged youth, in association with CBPST – a unit of CIPNET. (02-12-19 to 31-01-2020)
2. Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. (IOCL): A management development programme catering to the needs of the retail department of IOCL, Kerala was designed by the institution. The institution administered the “Total Dealership Management Program” for 287 petroleum dealers across the state (2016-17, 2017-18, 2018-19). A similar programme named ‘Nav Disha’ (2018-19, 2019-20) was offered to the LPG department of IOCL.
3. Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd. (HPCL): A programme named ‘Kausal’ was tailored and administered for the LPG distributors of HPCL under Kochi Regional Office (24-25 April 2019), for 34 distributors in Kerala.
- State Bank of Travancore: Research on ‘Customer Service Study of the State Bank of Travancore’, covering 26 branches, 640 customers, 29 managers and 138 officers.
- District Rural Development Agency: Study and preparation of Detailed Project Report (DPR) for Madappally and Pampady Blocks under SGSY Special projects as envisaged in the detailed Guidelines for SGSY released by Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India.
- Kerala State Co-operative Consumers Federation Ltd.: Research on Operational Strategies.
- Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC): Research project for studying the impact on various projects likeMobile tele-oncology, M-Care and Rural Tele-Medicine
- C fore: Kerala-wide pre-poll survey between 10th and 26th March 2011. A similar kind of survey was conducted in 2006 also and the findings had proveven very realistic.
- Micro Finance, Gender and Poverty – A Multi-Country Study on Research and Training on Micro finance.
- Waste Management: Scientific study conducted on wastes management in the Cochin Corporation area.
- Patient Logistics Management System - Design and Implementation: Project executed as part of Rural Innovation Fund (RIF) promoted by the M.S. Swaminathan Research Foundation, Chennai in collaboration with Microsoft Corporation.
- Study on a Public Consumer-Based Organization in Kerala Civil Supplies Corporation Ltd. (IIM, Lucknow).
- Collaborative Study on Innovative Project Management of Perambra SHG Project with IIM, Kozhikode.
- Study on ‘Functioning of Marketing Channels in the Indian Telecommunication Industry’ with IIM, Kozhikode.
- Project on studying the “Impact of Karshaka (Farmer) Information System (KISSAN)” with Department of Agriculture, Government of Kerala, and Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management (IIITMK), Techno Park, Trivandrum.
- Allianz Cornhill: One-year Executive Development Programme for aspiring managers.
- Kerala State Financial Enterprises: Refresher programme for senior managers and assistant managers customized to their requirements.
- State Bank of India: One-week wealth management programme for Relationship Managers of the State Bank of India.
- Kerala State Co-operative Consumers Federation Ltd.: Research on corporate & operational strategies.
- Climatic and Environmental Changes and Risk Reduction: A Chair has been set up for Climatic and Environmental Changes and Risk Reduction, in association with Ms.CleoPaskal, Associate Fellow of Energy, Environment and Development Programme, Royal Institute of International Affairs, a UK-based NGO working in the field of climate change.
- Traffic Improvement in Kochi City: A detailed engineering and logistics survey in 2010 to recommended possible measures for alleviating the perpetual and acute problem of traffic congestion in Kochi City.
- Global works International Corporation: Asian Development Bank (ADB)-funded Project to conduct a socio economic Survey.
- Coconut Development Board, Govt. of India: A project has been entrusted for developing new products, a delicious low fat cream from tender coconut.
- State Bank of Travancore: A study on “Customer Service” on all-India basis.
- Gujarat Co-operative Milk Federation Limited:
- A study on “Retail penetration and consumer perception of Amulbeverages”ii) A study on “Market potential for Amul Liquid milk (Sachets) in Coimbatore
- A study on demand estimation of paneer and forming strategies to tap market for frozen paneer in Bangalore.
- PepsiCo India Holdings Pvt. Ltd:
- A study exploring the potential for Tropicana (Juices) range in the institutional channel.
- A study on consumer preference towards slim can with special reference to Chennai.
- Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) (MHR, Govt. of India): Research Project titled “Development a Profile of Short Duration Migrant Laborers in Ernakulam District”, funded by ICSSR.
- Coir Board, Govt. of India: Empanelment for “Brand building and development of domestic markets for coir products” under process.
- Coconut Development Board, Govt. of India: A three-day leadership training programme for the members of Coconut Producers Societies (CPS) from Alappuzha District in Kerala (2013-14). So far, 4 batches covering more than 90 participants have attended this programme.
- Consultancy Development Centre (CDC), DSIR, Ministry of Science & Technology,Govt. of India: MoU signed with CDCin 2013 as KMPI to participate in their capability building and Knowledge Management Programmes. CDC has supported two events under “Building Capacities for Consultancy Development & Knowledge Management with Partner Institution (KMPI)” Programme of Consultancy Development Centre (CDC). The first event, atwo-day National Conference on Knowledge Management was held on 28-29 August, 2014 and CDC funding. The second event, a two-day National Workshop on Water Management and Audit was held on 25-26 February, 2015 and CDC approvedfunding. Both the programmes were well-received and well-acclaimed and were held on the SCMS Campus.
- India Post: Organised a workshop on Marketing Skills for Executives of India Post during 2013-14. More than 40 India Post Officials attended the programme.
- MDP for IndianOil Dealers on Total Dealership Management: A two-day Development Programme for IndianOil Dealers –Total Dealership Management – in association with the Marketing Division, Indian Oil Corporation Ltd., Kerala State Office. So far, ninetraining programmes have been completed covering more than 295 Dealers. This programme has been rated excellent by the participants.
SCMS Centre for Research ,Training and Development
SCMS-COCHIN, Prathap Nagar,
Muttom, Aluva, Cochin-683106.
Tel: +91 484 2623803, 2623804, 2623887
Fax: +91 484 2323885
mail: [email protected]/[email protected]